Sunday 19 February 2012

Lolita Interview for Kitten's Japanese Fashion Blog : Lolita

Kiri Doki Maori Raimona - Lolita Interview

Kitten Feb 10, 2012
Could you describe your style?

A girl torn between being in a Jane Austen novel or being a birthday cake. I would say my style is a mix between sweet Lolita and classic Lolita. I guess that makes me Jane Austen’s birthday cake. 

I wear a lot of handmade (by me) outfits and my favourite brands are Innocent World and Baby the Stars Shine Bright. I love browns, reds and pinks. I love rich, yet subtle and feminine colour pallets and prints. My favourite prints are to do with traditional England; such as woodland animals, “traditional English winters” and kooky little English houses as well as themes of children’s stories and confectionary. Who doesn’t love food! 
I have always loved extreme or diverse fashions and have been in many, but I love too many cultures and historic eras to ever stay attached to one. However Lolita gives me the option to cross the world and history and who can sniff at that!

When did you first hear/learn about Japanese Fashion and the Fashion Subcultures?

I’ve been interested in Lolita for about 4 years and found my first ever piece (before I knew it was Lolita!) In a little shop in Brighton (that has now closed). I must admit I was always interested in Harajuku fashion as it’s just so eye catching and remember sitting in bookshops flicking through FreshFruits collection thinking “why doesn’t England have this?” It wasn’t until I decided to start really looking into Lolita that I found that England does have this! And I can be a part of it! Now I wear Lolita at least once a fortnight and am starting up my own little brand of handmade Lolita clothes as I have been making my own clothes for a few years and couldn’t resist making some Lolita!! I now attend meets regularly and am starting to really develop my own style. 

What attracted you to your particular style?

Well going back to being Jane Austine’s Birthday cake… The classic side is just so beautiful, mature and elegant and embodies what I think England has truly lost.. it’s history and culture.. So for me being able to revive it for a day or two every now and again feels so fantastic!
And the sweet part.. Well I’ve always loved to wear something that inspires me personally and shows my true personality. Sweet allows me to feel free, creative and girly and as young as I want. Lolita on the whole helps me escape from the boring and pressurised world of a college student, to a world of my own. It’s as if me and a few hundred other girls fell down the Rabbit hole. 

Do you dress like this every-day? If not what changes do you make and why?

As previously mentioned I wear Lolita, probably on average once or twice a fortnight. I wear it to college and don’t skimp on anything, the only thing that stops me wearing it every-day is the fact I don’t have THAT many ‘co-ords’. I also believe in spreading the Lolita love and why not show off all your hard work in the full outfit, just wearing bits and pieces won’t do at all! Plus all of my friends really enjoy seeing me and when I do wear it now and again it feels like more of a treat to myself when I wear it. Would chocolate taste as good if you ate it every-day? Most likely not...

Have you ever attracted negative attention because of how you dress?

Erm, only 2 or 3 times... actually the only people that ever give me grief are people of my own age. But I think it’s because they just don’t understand, or genuinely don’t like it. I believe everyone is entitled to be different otherwise it’d just be plain boring...
Some heckles remind me of times when I’d wear what I wanted to school on non uniform day and I would be heckled, but afterwards when no one was watching girls would come up to me and tell me they were jealous that I could be myself and they wished they had the courage to be free in what they looked like. So I also believe that sometimes heckles are just people envious of the Lolita’s freeness.

Do you receive positive attention for you style?

Yes! Thankfully many times! Far more than negative! It’s mainly the elderly or very young! The elderly tell me how lovely it is to see a girl dressed modestly and properly. And small children come up and hug me or ask me questions like am I a princess or a real life cartoon haha! So cute. I also get people from my college complaining when I haven’t worn Lolita for a while because they want to see what I do next and love my outfits. Lolita sure makes you stand out in the crowd. I get random people on bikes yelling compliments and I see a lot of people light up and smile when they see me walking down the street. I even get asked by mothers to pose with their children and that is definitely a confidence boost. 
If you could give one piece of advice to any newcomers of Japanese Fashion or to people who don’t have the confidence to wear it but would like too, what would it be?

I think now-a-days there are so many shocking and overtly offensive fashions out there that people have become desensitised to the in your face styles. So when they see something so inoffensive and so modest and girly they don’t know how to react. Lolita is one of the only fashions in my opinion that still manages to turn heads but in a positive way. I mean if your grandmother loves it how can you go wrong!!

If you could give one piece of advice to any newcomers of Japanese Fashion or to people who don’t have the confidence to wear it but would like too, what would it be?

Lolita isn’t about anyone or anything else but you. Lolita should be about finding the perfect frame, to frame the inner you and let the world see it on display. When you step into your Lolita leave all your worries behind you and enjoy it. At the end of the day, anybody can rock any look if they wear that inner smile on their face. Just enjoy looking exactly how you want and don’t let silly rules or silly people or silly words get you down. And on a more personal note... If your boyfriend doesn't like you dressing in Lolita... then you're with the wrong boy, Lolita is about celebrating you.



A link to her Buzznet Blog
http://kitten-japanesefashion.buzznet.com/user/photos/

No comments:

Post a Comment